REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
(CONSULTING SERVICES – FIRMS SELECTION)
- Name of Project: Tanzania-Zambia Transmission
- Interconnector Project (P163752).
- Grant No. D350
- Assignment Title: Consultancy Services for the Feasibility Study Update for 400kV Tanzania (Nyakanazi) – Uganda (Masaka) Transmission Line
- Reference No.: REF. NO ET-EAPP-165640-CS-QCBS
The Eastern Africa Power Pool (EAPP) has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Tanzania-Zambia Transmission Interconnector Project and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services. The consulting services (the Services”) include the provision of Consultancy Services for the Feasibility Study Update for 400KV Tanzania (Nyakanazi) – Uganda (Masaka) Transmission Line.
THE PROPOSED STUDY
The aim of the proposed study is to support the development del of the East African interconnected power transmission grid for fou increased regional power trade and improved supply reliability Th and affordability
The objectives of the study are to:
- Carry out technical feasibility and economic viability of the proposed Uganda-Tanzania Interconnector Project (UTIP) in
- the context of the existing and expected future power system development in both Uganda and Tanzania and potential
- to enable power trade between the East Africa Power Pool (EAPP) and the Southern Africa Power Pool (SAPP).
2. Assess and recommend appropriate organizational, institutional, commercial, and operational frameworks for the financing, construction, ownership, and operation of the interconnection,
The leading Project Executing Agency (PEA) will be Eastern Africa T Power Pool (EAPP) as “Project Coordinator”. The supervision of the implementation of the feasibility study shall be carried out in collaboration with the beneficiary partner power utilities in 2 Tanzania (TANESCO) and Uganda (UETCL).
THE TECHNICAL FEASIBILITY STUDY
The Consultant will carry out the Feasibility Study for the proposed UTIP taking into consideration the opportunities for power trade between the two countries and reflecting the trade options within the broader region of the EAPP and SAPP. The Consultant shall identify and examine various line routing alternatives and technical options of interest (e.g., voltage levels; technical configurations, interconnection points etc.), taking into account future developments of the power systems in Uganda, Tanzania and neighboring countries, the role of the interconnector in supporting electrification initiatives in both countries (Uganda and Tanzania), the potential environmental and social impacts, and other relevant factors. As required, the Consultant shall identify and include any strengthening of the transmission infrastructure in Uganda and Tanzania needed to integrate the interconnector in the respective power systems and to operate the two systems synchronously, with adequate security, reliability, and efficiency.
The Consultant shall then select the most appropriate technical solution, assess the technical, economic, and financial feasibility and prepare technical specifications, conceptual designs and tender documents for the interconnector. Separate bid documents will be prepared for the Ugandan and Tanzanian sections of the interconnector
Finally, the Consultant shall assess and recommend organizational, operational institutional, and commercial frameworks for the financing, construction, and operation of the interconnection
This assignment shall be undertaken in a two-phase approach
- First phase: Undertake the full feasibility study including demand forecast, line route selection Voltage selection, network update and analysis, financial and economic analysis recommendation for appropriate organizational institutional commercial, and operational frameworks for the financing, construction, ownership, and operation of the interconnector
- Second phase: Preparation of separate tender documents for the Tanzania and Uganda sections of the line including technical specifications, conceptual design and bill of quantities (BoQ)
The expected commencement date for the assignment is January 2021. The study is expected to last for 12 calendar months. The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) for the assignment can be found at http://eappool.org/tenders-and-rfpsl.
The Eastern Africa Power Pool now invites eligible consulting firms (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services, Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services. The shortlisting criteria are,
- Core Business (Areas of Expertise);
- Years in Business,
- Experience similar Assignments For each project performed, the consultant shall provide the name and contact address of the client (office and e-mail address, and telephone number), date(s) of execution, name(s) of lead and associate firms, contract amount, and financing sources., and
- Technical and Managerial Capability
Key Experts will not be evaluated at the short-listing stage. The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to Section III, paragraphs, 22.214.171.124, and 3.17 of the World Bank’s “Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers” July 2016, revised November 2017 and August 2018 (“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest. Consultants may associate with other firms to enhance their qualifications but should indicate clearly whether the association is in the form of a joint venture and/or a sub consultancy. In the case of a joint venture, all the partners in the joint venture shall be jointly and severally liable for the entire contract, if selected,
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Quality and Cost-based Selection (QCBS) method set out in the Procurement Regulations
Further information can be obtained from Eastern Africa Power Pool,
E-mail : email@example.com , and copy to firstname.lastname@example.org . Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by courier, or by e-mail) on or before October 28, 2020, at 15:00 hours – East Africa Time. Expressions of Interest should be clearly marked “EXPRESSION OF INTEREST FOR PROVISION OF CONSULTANCY SERVICES FOR THE FEASIBILITY STUDY UPDATE FOR 400KV TANZANIA (NYAKANAZI) – UGANDA (MASAKA) TRANSMISSION LINE, REF NO.: “ET-EAPP-165640-CS-QCBS”,
EASTERN AFRICA POWER POOL