Request for expression of interest
(consulting services – individual consultant selection)
- Name of Project:… Tanzania-Zambia Transmission Interconnector Project (P163752),
- Grant No.:…..D350 – Technical Assistance to Eastern Africa Power Pool
- Assignment Title:…………..Power Market Expert of the EAPP – PIU
- Reference No. ET-EAPP-85424-CS-INDV
The Eastern Africa Power Pool (EAPP) has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Tanzania-Zambia Transmission Interconnector Project and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services. The consulting services (the Services”) include providing the service of Power Market Expert.
The consulting services (“the Services”) of the Power Market Expert will include (but is not necessarily limited to):
1. Provide oversight of all activities related to EAPP regional power market development and offer technical and strategic advice to the EAPP GS and member utilities on related issues. The Expert will be responsible for the activities including, inter alia, the following:
- Serve as the coordinator for the Market Working Group and support its capacity development and transitioning into a formal Market Committee Design, procurement, implementation supervision, and evaluation of activities and consultancies related to energy market activities of EAPP
- Specific supervision and follow-up of projects to:
- Design the regional power market suitable to the EAPP needs and context, including the finalization and adoption of regional market rules by the EAPP
- Identify the requirements for commercial readiness of national power utilities and regional frameworks, including trading agreements, settlement mechanisms, and other rules and regulations to enable power trade
- Design, adopt, and operationalize a suitable market trading platform for EAPP
- Liaise with the Independent Regulatory Board (IRB) in its role of confirming rules and regulating the market
- Assessment of key capacity gaps in commercial readiness of EAPP GS and member utilities and recommendations on how to address them
2. Identify and coordinate training opportunities for members of the Market Working Group and Traders as well as share with them best practices from other power pools.
3. Support EAPP in knowledge sharing and confidently represent the team at relevant forums:
- Update and provide advice to EAPP GS, member utilities and stakeholders on market design and development activities on a regular basis.
- Represent EAPP at relevant meetings and clearly present the EAPP’s position as authorized by General Secretariat.
- Support planning, organization, and execution of events, workshops and meetings related to EAPP’s work program
- Undertake any other functions related to the efficient execution of assigned position as directed by EAPP Secretariat & the Project Manager.
- Liaise with other technical committees if requested
4. Successful execution of tasks mentioned above would require the Expert to get quickly familiarized with the EAPP’s institutional arrangements and previous initiatives.
Accordingly, Consultant should:
- Review, previously undertaken or on-going, EAPP studies related to energy markets.
- Review relevant terms of reference, tender documents, and consultancy contract documents, the IDA Grant Agreement, and relevant World Bank guidelines.
- Understand the institutional set up of EAPP and the Project Implementation Unit (PIU) in particular.
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of the PIU, EAPP, technical committees etc.
- Understand scope and modalities of on-going support and technical assistance by various development partners and ensure harmonization.
The following skills are essential for this work:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Electro-Mechanical Engineering, Economics, Finance, Business Studies, Mathematics, Physics or related subjects from a recognized University.
- A Master’s degree in Electrical or Electro-Mechanical Engineering, Business Administration, Finance, Management, or Economics will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 12 years of professional experience in power sector and more than 6 years in power utility with hands-on experience in the power market and trade-related activities.
- Professional Training or Experience in energy market trading preferably including experience with the design and operation of power pools, bilateral contract trading (PPAs), institutional strengthening (e.g. set-up of the market operator), and settlement of contracts
- Working knowledge of relevant energy market clearing software/algorithms
- Financial and economic analysis skills
- Experience in competitive procurement of international consultancies
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Written and oral communications skills in French will be an added advantage.
- Experience in projects financed by bilateral and multilateral donors such as the World Bank and the African Development Bank will be a major plus
The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) for the assignment can be obtained on the following link: http://eappool.org/employment opportunities.
The Eastern Africa Power Pool now invites eligible individual consultants (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested individual consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services.
The attention of interested individual consultants is drawn to Section III, paraaraphs. 3.14. 3.16. and 3.17 of the World Bank’s “Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers” July 2016, revised November 2017 (“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest
The consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant Selection method set out in the Procurement Regulations.
Duration of the Assignment
The duration of the assignment/service is for three (3) years, subject to six (6) months’ probation period with satisfactory performance before confirmation. Continuation to the second and third years will be subject to satisfactory performance evaluated yearly. The expected start date is September 2020.
The EAPP is an equal opportunity employer; qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Place of Work
Eastern Africa Power Pool (EAPP) Secretariat Headquarters, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Application File (PDF Format)
Consultants/Applicants interested in this assignment are required to submit Expression of Interest accompanied with their detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV), copies of passport as well as education degree(s) and other relevant certificates.
Deadline of Submission
Expressions of Interest together with CVs and other required documents should be sent to the General Secretary, Eastern Africa Power Pool (EAPP) on or before August 12, 2020, at 15:00 hours East Africa Time, in PDF format by using the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Expressions of Interest should be clearly marked – “EXPRESSION OF INTEREST FOR POWER MARKET EXPERT, REF. NO.: “ET-EAPP-85424-CS-INDV”.
EASTERN AFRICA POWER POOL