DIRE DAWA POLYTECHNIC COLLEGE
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
(Consulting Services -Firms Selection)
- Country: Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia
- CLIENT: Dire Dawa Polytechnic College
- Name of PROJECT: East Africa Skills for Transformation and Regional Integration Project
- Loan No Credit No / Grand Ma: Credit No. 6335-ET, Grant No.: D395-ET
- Assignment Title Technical Assistance Consultancy Services for TVET Development of Dire Dawa Polytechnic College
- Reference No: DD/QCBS/C-11/19
The Dire Dawa Polytechnic Collore (DDPTC) has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the East Africa Skills for Transformation and Regional Integration Project (EASTRIP) and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services
The consulting services (“the Services”) main objective is to provide mentorship technical support and capacity-strengthening measures for high-quality skills development and market-responsive Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) at the DDPTC. The Services includes:
(1) Mentorship Technical Assistance Support. The Services is required for updating and improving the TVET courses of eight trades hollered by the DDPTC, specifically to:
(a) conduct institutional, faculty and management staffs, training facilities and infrastructure, and TVET system contextual survey
(b) align TVET courses with industry needs;
(c) upgrade curricula modules and, teaching, training & learning resources;
(d) new market-relevant Modular Competency-Based Training (CBT) curricula modules and, teaching, training & learning resources development;
(e) innovative theory-practice integrated training workshops layouts planning and development;
(f) smart classrooms and campus cloud platform planning and development;
(g) upgrade training equipment through innovative tender. able equipment specifications planning for selected training programs;
(h) student trainees and teachers/trainers industrial practical attachment;
(i) students/trainees and teachers/trainers exchanges with overseas partner institutes;
j) tracer and labor market assessment study;
(k) training of trainers and certifications;
(l) pilot market-relevant CBT courses for new training programs;
(m) strengthen institute-industry links and institutes partnerships;
(n) enhance employability skills of graduates pass-outs through the concept of a Finishing training and career guidance;
(o) placement assistance to graduates pass-outs;
(p) employment support and business incubation centers development; and
(q) Gender and Inclusive Mainstreaming TVET system establishment
(ii) Faculty & Management Stalls Capacity Building. The Consulting firm shall design and implement an integrated, multi-level capacity building programs for DDPTC teachers/trainers and management. The Services is required to:
(a) improve technical and pedagogy skills & knowledge of teachers/trainers towards promoting student-centered teaching/training approaches & increased hands-on training for students; and
(b) strengthen TVET management capacity of managers and administrators towards promoting an innovative TVET and entrepreneurial approach in managing the college.
The Consulting firm is required to promote market responsiveness and quality of TVET at DDPTC by establishing an innovative TVET system and, improving the practical knowledge & skills competence of faculty and management staff. The indicative trades for the assignment include (i) Railway (integrated with Electro-Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering); (ii) Metal Engineering; (iii) Automotive Technology; (iv) Electro Technology; (v) Building Construction; (vi) Textile and Leather Garments; (vii) Information and Communication Technology; and (viii) Hotel and Tourism occupation areas.
The Consulting firm will provide approximately 10 Senior/ Domain Experts with 82 person-months of input. The Consultant shall have expertise in all the eight trades mentioned above or may have secondary tie-up(s) as a Joint Venture (JV). Any secondary tie-up will need prior approval of the client before award of Contract.
Duration of the services is a total period of two years. Postcompletion of the first year, there shall be a contract review; based on satisfactory performance, the contract shall be renewed for one year. The assignment is expected to commence in October 2020. The detailed Terms of Reference for the assignment can be obtained at the address given below.
The Dire Dawa Polytechnic College now invites eligible consulting firms (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to per- The form the Services. The Consulting firm should provide evidence of their eligibility satisfactory to the Client, to verify that:
- If Joint Venture (JV), certified copy of the Joint Venture Agreement;
- Audited Financial Statement for the last three FY (2017 2019);
- Valid business license indicating the stream of business in which the Consultant is engaged or Certified copy of the incorporation/constitution documents;
- VAT registration certificate issued by the tax authority AC (only domestic Consultants in case of the contract value as specified in BDS);
- Valid Tax clearance certificate issued by the tax authority (domestic Consultants only);
- Firm’s history (years of similar experience);
- Documents supporting the experience and qualifying Exp criteria; and
- Relevant professional practice certificates, if required in BDS.
- Foreign Consultants must as appropriate submit a business organization registration certificate or trade license issued by the country of establishment.
The minimum qualification criteria is:
i. A firm (in case of a single entity) and lead partner in case of a JV) should have been operational for the last 5 (five) years;
ii. At least 5 years of relevant professional experience in the area of TVET, skills development and training as well as specialist in competency based training (CBT) and assessment at both policy and practice level;
iii. The Consulting firm should have a track record of having successfully completed at least two projects including development of the Concept for modern TVET and Competency-Based Curriculum similar by scope and size in the last 5 years.
iv. Average rating weight scored 60% and above.
Shortlisting Ranking Criteria includes:
(A) Technical Competence (65%)
Firm’s specialization vis à vis the sectorial focus of the assignment (25%). (i) Expertise number of sectors TC (6%); (ii) Training workshops and smart classrooms esretablishment (4%); (iii) Sustainable Capacity development interventions (4%); (iv) Base in market for placement asofsistance (4%); (v) Capacity building and training of trained ers of managements and other faculty members (4%); and (vi) Exposure to international best practices in setting up and managing technical institutes/ centres (3%).
Firm’s experience similar to the assignment (40%).
iYears of Experience (5%); (ii) Training need analysis, base line survey, detailed project reports and similar studies in Ethiopia (4%); (iii) Experience of development of indusish try endorsed curriculum and instructional material in skills ical development (6%); (iv) Experience of framing of specifications of equipment required in related sectors (4%); (v) in Strong placement wing and good industry connect (4%); (vi) Experience of working with government (4%); (vii) Experience of mentorship of at least 5 technical institutes (4%); (viii) Experience in delivering NTQF aligned coursGares (4%), (ix) Number of similar projects undertaken where firm as JV partner or sub-consultant and overall suitable for the assignment (5%).
B Management Competence (25%)
- Quality Control and Assurance (10%) Quality man agement practices & processes, quality auditing, business processes, and quality assurance framework (4%); and (ii) ISO certification (4%); and (iii) Complaints redressed policies (2%). Froject management coordination (15%). (i) Partner: ships with identified sector specific leading training organizations in Ethiopia (9%); and (ii) strategies for retention of proposed key experts and back up plans in case of replacement (6%). a Geographic Competence (10%): () Experience & good track record of managing and implementing similar projects in Ethiopia (6%); (ii) Experience and good track record of skill training projects in East African Region (2%); and (iii) Experience and good track record of skill training projects in Ethiopia (2%).
- The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to Section IN, paragraphs, 3.14, 3.16, and 3.17 of the World Bank’s “Pro curement Regulations for IPF Bonowers” dated July 2016 and Revised November 2017 (“Procurement Regulation”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
- Consultants may associate with other firms to enhance their qualifications, but should indicate clearly whether the as. sociation is in the form of a joint venture and/or a sub-consultancy. In the case of a joint venture, all the partners in the joint venture shall be jointly and severally liable for the entire contract, if selected.
- A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Quality and Cost Based Selection (QCBS) method set out in the Procurement Regulations.
- Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours 0800 to 1200 and 1400 to 1100 from Monday to Friday.
- Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below in person or mail or by e-mail by August 18, 2020 to:
EASTRIP Project Implementatiow Unit Ollice Office No.: 03, Dire Dawa Polytechnic College Dire Dawa City, Kebele 03 (Gende-Depo at the back of Main Police Office), P.O.Box: 216, Dire Dawa, Ethiopia Tel: +251 251124500/+251 915730262