REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF
INTEREST (For Firms)
NAME OF PROJECT:- Enhancing shared prosperity through Equitable Services (ESPES-IPF)
IDA Credit No.:-D 2290-ET
Assignment Title: Selection & Employment of a Consulting firm for undertaking impact assessment of FTA initiative for Ministry of Finance.
Procurement plan Package No: ET-MOFEC-COPCU129904-CS-QCRS
This Request for Expressions of Interest follows the General Procurement Notice for this project that appeared in Development Business No. DB Reference NO: WBP501096-03/20
The Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Ministry of Finance has received a credit from the International Development Association (IDA) toward the cost of ESPESIPF Project the and intends to apply part of the proceeds of this Credit to payments under the contract for the Selection & Employment of a Consulting firm for undertaking impact assessment of FTA initiative for Ministry of Finance.
The main objective of the service is to:
- To review the implementation progress of the FTA initiative at federal and subnational level. This will assess the results achieved so far using its results framework and stakeholder discussions as key inputs.
- To review the extent of citizens’ understanding of the public budget processes and engagement in the budget processes via direct participation different representative modalities.
- To assess the effectiveness of FTA implementation means (tools) that had been designed to improve citizens’ awareness on public budget processes, guarantees citizens overall budget information requirements, and enhance citizens’ participation on government planning and implementation to strengthen accountability system, and suggest sustainable and cost effective way of information disclosure based on past national and international best practices.
- To identify social and cultural constraints, opportunities, and entry points for reducing gender inequalities and promoting more equal relations between women and men related to FTA initiative.
- To identify factors that have contributed to achieving or hindering achievement of the intended outputs while implementing the initiative at federal, regional and woreda levels, including urban administrations.
- To assess the extent to which the accountability part of the initiative, i.e., procurement and audit information disclosure have been effective and contributed to efficient use of public finances.
- To assess the pre-budget discussion modality and its effectiveness and provide, expert opinion on how to improve citizens’ participation in decision making process in prioritization of needs and allocation of budget for improved basic service delivery.
- To assess the areas in which SA and FTA as well as GRM linkages can be strengthened.
- To examine the economic, social, and institutional determinants of local government transparency in Ethiopian context, specifically at regional and woreda level government structures.
The scope of the work includes but not limited to:
The impact assessment survey will collect information on overall FTA implementation status, with a representative sample size of the federal budgetary institutions, woredas and households in nine regions and two city administrations.
Thus, the Research Consultants/Organization is expected to cover 20% of federal budgetary institutions which are implementing FTA, all nine regional states including two city administrations and 15% of Woredas/towns. The number of Kebeles in each sampled woreda should be three and data will be collected from fair and representative sample size of households in each selected kebeles. Sample woredas shall be selected in consultation with the client.
The list of survey target woredas will consider remoteness, food security status of Woredas.,livelihood of inhabitants (pastoralist/farmers) and zonal distribution inside the given region
Main Tasks of the Consulting Firm
- Conduct desk review of relevant documents, including project reports, previous baseline surveys and reviews of performance assessment survey reports.
- Collect and review relevant government policy/guideline document, relevant secondary data etc. Develop, test and apply survey questionnaires. A representative random sample of the target population by region and city administration should be interviewed to assess outcomes and establish impact of the initiative in line with intended objectives.
- Design and conduct focus group discussions with relevant community members, both male and female, to assess implementation experiences and effectiveness, document successes, challenges and lessons learned, and develop recommendations for improvement.
- Carry out key informant interviews i.e. consultations with key stakeholders, including Donor Partners. Guidance on appropriate stakeholders will be provided by MoF.
- Collate and analyze data by region and city administration.
- Present findings to key stakeholders and MoF for comments.
- Draft report and submit to MoF/client and Donors for comments
- Incorporate comments and produce final report.
Firm level experience:
The consultancy firm shall have the following prior experiences:
- Experiences in conducting socio-economic surveys at the national level in Ethiopian context.
- Experience in conducting FTA related program assessments.
- Experience in reviewing program effectiveness of FTA tools,
- The consultant firm is also expected to participate in provision of trainings for the field operation employees (enumerators, supervisors and coordinators), for which previous experience in training delivery is highly required.
- Conducting assessment or evaluations for programs at national level is an added value.
The Ministry of Finance (Mor, Channel One Programs Coordinating Directorate (COPCD), now invites eligible consulting Firm/institution jointly or individually to indicate their interest in providing the consulting services stipulated above under “The Scope of the assignment”.
Interested consulting firms must provide evidences or supporting documents and information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, qualifications, and so forth).
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to World Bank’s “Procurement Regulation for IPF’ Borrowers” July 2016 (“Procurement Regulation”). Revised on November, 2017 and August 2018 setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
Consultants may associate with other firms to enhance their qualification but should indicate clearly whether the association is in the form of a joint venture and/or a sub consultancy. In the case of a joint venture, all the partners in the joint venture shall be jointly and severally liable for the entire contract, if selected. A consultant will be selected in accordance with the Quality and Cost-based Selection method set out in the Procurement Regulation
The TOR and further information can be obtained, by e-mail at the address below during office hours from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM Addis Ababa time.
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below in person, or by e-mail on or before 5:30 PM Addis Ababa time on or before November 20, 2020, but preferably by e-mail
Ministry of Finance (MoF)
Channel One Programs Coordinating Directorate
Sidis1 Kilo, Yekait 12 Square, King George Avenue
MoFEC Building, 6th Floor, Room No. 621
Telephone number: +251-111-57-05-94/91, Postal Address-1905
E-mail address: email@example.com
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia